Saturday, October 8, 2011

Happy Birthday Spencer!

Can't really believe it's been three years since this...


It really does go by fast, just like everyone says.

Yesterday was Spencer's birthday. We had a pretty fun day. I think he was a little overwhelmed with everything when he woke up in the morning.

First he found some 3's on his door! And he was excited about these all day. Everytime he walked by his door he'd make me come and look at them and tell me what they were. And every time I was thinking, "Yes, I know Spencer. I put them on your door!" But I humored him. It was his birthday.  

He also kept saying, "Owen! Look at this!" to everything. He figured Owen was as excited about everything as he was. I don't think Owen noticed anything different. Except that it took a little longer to get his rice cereal. Next year I am sure he'll be more excited. :)

He also got to sit in his birthday boy chair to eat donuts for breakfast. He hardly ate any donuts, which tells you something about how excited he was about everything else. He loves donuts. He also had a really weird smile for the pictures. We couldn't talk him into giving us a normal smile.  

We had him open his presents before daddy left for school to take two tests, which he did great on (go daddy!). He was perfectly fine leaving his donuts before finishing to open presents.

Definitely his favorite present.  

Humoring mommy by posing in his birthday boy chair.

We spent most of the day playing with his presents and baking the cake so it'd be ready to frost after bedtime. We went out to dinner at Red Robin when daddy got home from school. Spencer would have been fine eating at home I'm sure, but we don't eat out very often these days. So we've got to take advantage of special occassions. :)

Today was Spencer's birthday party. Well, not much of a party because party planning is not my forte. But  Grandpa Jeff, Grandma Stacey, Aunt Jessica, Ben, Grace, Breeny, Jilly, Aunt Chelsea, Uncle Matt, and Landon all came to visit us for Spencer's birthday! And we are so glad they all came. We went to lunch and then put the babies to sleep and left the daddys at home to watch them/football while everyone else went to Chuck E Cheese. We were hoping to go to the zoo, but of course today would be the only rainy day all week.

Spencer's favorite game was air hockey. He wasn't much competition for Benson but he still had a good time.

After Chuck E Cheese we headed back to our apartment to have some cake and ice cream. I decided to attempt an airplane cake. And just because I spent so much time making it, here are some pics just of the cake. I got the idea here.

It says "Spencer Air" on the front. That was Bryce's great idea. I also added marshmallows and a little green frosting into the "engines" (or whatever those are..) after I took these pics.



Not perfect and I definitely need to work on smoothing the frosting better. But I thought it turned out good for my first solo attempt. I had my mom around for Spencer's first and second birthday cakes.

 Spencer with his airplane cake. He was excited about this all week!

Singing happy birthday and blowing out his candles.


 Landon and Owen. Just because they are cute.

Getting ready for bed in his new pj's with his new Lightening McQueen. He also had to rock his hex bug to sleep a few times because he kept waking up. :)

We're so glad that we have some family close to enough to visit us for special days like this. We wish we were closer to all of our family, but we'll take what we can get I guess. So thanks for visiting us Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Jessica and kids, and Aunt Chelsea and Uncle Matt!

Spencer had a great birthday. Hopefully he felt special and knows how much we love him. We're so lucky to have such a sweet little boy in our family!  

2 comments:

Kirsta and Morian said...

Happy Birthday to Spencer! And your cake looks awesome Kathleen!

Annie B said...

the cake is awesome!