Thursday, April 1, 2010

Clifford the Big Red Dog

This morning Spencer, my mom, and I went to my cousin Jack's school. My aunt is doing the book fair at his school this week and so Jack was dressed up as Clifford the Big Red Dog to help promote the book fair. We figured Spencer would get a kick out of Clifford because he really likes dogs. It's the only animal noise he will make and he loves my aunts dog Rocky. I heard that my uncle will give Spencer a piece of bologna and Spence will hold it and Rocky will put his mouth over Spencer's whole hand! And Spencer thinks its just hilarious and asks for more. I haven't ever seen this, it's just the reports I've gotten. :) Anyway, we went to see Clifford and Spencer wasn't as excited as I thought. I guess I should've known from his Santa experiences this past Christmas.


This was basically as close as he would get.

He was fine as long as he could see Jack's face, but once Jack put the head down he was out of there!




In other news, mission take binky away hasn't been going as well as I thought it would. I just figured we'd take it away and he'd be fine after a few days and be sleeping really well like he had been. And it hasn't been horrible or anything, but he usually always cries when I put him down for a nap. And he wakes up earlier (which is bad news for me!), and sometimes he wakes up during the night.

I can understand it's perhaps a little traumatic for him. He's had a binky from day one, like a lot of babies I am sure. Thinking back though I remember the first night we were in the hospital with him he was pretty fussy. The only thing we could do to calm him down was to let him suck on our finger. I didn't even think of bringing a binky to the hospital. While he was in the room with us we just let him suck on our finger...which is kinda gross but we made sure they were clean. But after awhile we decided to let him go to the nursery so I could get some sleep. Does that make me a horrible mother? I don't think so. Sleep is obviously way too important to me. :) Anyway, I guess he was fussy enough that after a little while a nurse came in and asked us if we wanted him to have a binky. To which we said of course! Why didn't you tell us earlier there were binkies in this place!? So he loves his binky. I mean he has slept with it every night for his entire life! And I can understand his unhappiness with the whole situation. I'm sure he will get used to it and start sleeping better after a while. It will just take a little longer than I had anticipated.

One thing that we have noticed since taking the binky away is that it just seems like he doesn't sleep as well when he is asleep. Which makes for a little grumpier Spencer when he is awake! And this is the real problem. We have seen a whole new level of tantrum throwing from this little guy. Maybe it's just the age...because as my weekly BabyCenter emails tell me it is very common to start seeing tantrums at this age. And he of course was throwing tantrums before we took the binky away. But like I said, it's a whole new level. He screams so loud and will drop to the ground and bang his head on the floor and then start rolling around. It's actually pretty ridiculous. And most times I can't help but laugh a little. Because he is still so cute, even when he is throwing a ridiculous tantrum. :)


Feeding himself some yogurt. Spencer has also been really into doing things himself lately...so maybe it is just the age. But I was trying to feed him some yogurt for a snack today and he was not happy about it. I know he loves yogurt so I knew that wasn't the problem. And it was pretty obvious he wanted to hold the yogurt and spoon, but I didn't really want to clean up a huge mess. So we discussed it very calmly for a little while and decided that Spencer could hold the spoon if mommy could hold the yogurt and help him scoop little bites. So we were both happy.



Trying on Grandma Stacey's reading glasses and stealing some of her lemonade. Although this post might make it seem like Spencer only throws big tantrums and doesn't sleep very well, that really isn't all he does. He is a very sweet baby and is usually very happy. He does all kinds of funny things these days and we just love him to pieces.


Climbing in the box from diapers.com. I know you may be able to get a better deal on diapers and wipes from a drugstore with coupons, but I just love having a nice supply waiting in the closet for me. So I usually get the big boxes from diapers.com. And it is delivered the next day! So I really love it. And Spencer's bum does too. :)

There are no real updates on Bryce and I. Just working, taking care of Spencer, watching the news, reading books, and trying to get back into running since the weather has been so beautiful. Bryce does occasionally throw ridiculous tantrums too, but I figured that wasn't really appropriate to blog about. ;)

6 comments:

Kevin and HolliJo said...

He is so adorable Kathleen! I love reading your updates. Glad you guys are doing well!

Mike and Crystal said...

I love his lil' man outfit! He is so cute Kathleen even if he does have tantrums :) Glad things are going well for you and your family!

Jenny said...

Well if I do say so myself, Spencer is wearing a very nice light blue shirt in that last picture. Someone must really like that kid and be looking out for his sense of style ;)

The Eve's said...

He looks so big with his hair done like that! And I love his little brown shoes! Can't wait to see him in less than 2 weeks!

Allison said...

What a handsome little man. Good luck with operation binkie!

Mandy said...

Let him have the Binky! It's nothing a good set of braces won't fix. Avery learned to talk in full sentences before Mandy took it away. If it were up to me all of our kids would still have their BINKY especially on long road trips!

-Chad